The Bank of New South Wales opened an agency to Lutwyche at Chermside on 11th November 1946. On 30th October 1950, this Agency was converted to a branch under the management of Geoffrey Frank Mayfield.
The Branch opened in rented premises, a small brick shop with 13′ frontage to Gympie Road, leased for three years expiring 27 Jul 1953 with the option for renewal for a further three years. This lease was renewed in 1953 for another three years.
In 1951 the Bank had purchased vacant land in Chermside for £1600 – area 32 perches with frontage of 66′ to Gympie Road x 132′ – for erection of new Branch premises.
On 5th Oct 1954, the Chief Inspector approved preparation of working drawings and specifications for erection of new premises and residence combined at Chermside. Tenders were obtained from three of the contractors who tendered in March 1954 for premises, the plans of which proved unacceptable to the Bank.
Plans were ultimately approved, and the building was completed on the Bank’s land, occupied by the Bank and opened for business from 22nd November 1955.